Light charcoal without lighter fluid
Lighting charcoal briquettes without lighter fluid is easy with this homemade Charcoal Chimney
- A charcoal chimney (see How to Make a charcoal chimney or #Amazon's Related Products)
- a grill
- Oven mitts
Lighting the Charcoal
- Begin by filling your charcoal chimney to the top with charcoal
- Loosely wad a sheet of newspaper and place it under the chimney in the center of your grill
- CAREFULLY light the paper through the air holes (you may have to lift the chimney to get to the paper and light from underneath)
- You may have to do this more than once, I had to do it twice for this tutorial.
- Once the Charcoal begins to wait a while and it will flame on and ignite the rest of the coal in the chimney
- When the charcoal in the chimney is ashen white (see Fig.5 ) then put on your oven mitts, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL and dump the coals into your grill
- spread them evenly with your tongs
- Barbecue away!
Fire is dangerous, always be careful. Do not touch hot surfaces or flames or smoke or steam. I am not responsible in any way if you burn yourself.
When I did this the first wad of newspaper burned out without sufficiently lighting the charcoal. I had to carefully put a second wadding of paper underneath the chimney and re-light. After a few minutes everything lit beautifully.
- ISBN 1563058669
- ISBN 0761120149
- ISBN 1558322973
Amazon's Related Products
- ASIN B00004U9VV
- ASIN B00004RALR
- ASIN B00008DHPA
- How to Make a charcoal chimney
- Chimney Starter Wikipedia Article