Who Else Wants To Learn How To Use The Top Secret Photography Techniques to Create Mind-Blowing Artistic Images?ad
How To Point a hughesnet broadband satellite dish
This tutorial will explain how to point or re-peak A HughesNet broadband Internet dish. With a DW6000, DW7000, HN7000, or a HN700S modem. This tutorial assumes that you already have a HughesNet dish properly installed and a modem properly commissioned. This tutorial will be helpful in cases where the dish has been bumped or otherwise has been misaligned and just needs to be realigned.
- A half inch wrench
- A compass
- An OPI
- A computer
- A HughesNet modem
- A pen and paper
- A level
The pointing at a HughesNet broadband Internet satellite dish is a two part process. The first part consists of locating and maximizing the signal from the satellite. The second part consists of maximizing your cross polarization of the dish.
|Warning!! - Pointing of a Hughesnet Satellite dish by a non-certified person may void your warranty and may violate your agreement with the Hughes company. Do so at your own risk!!|
Part One: Locating and Maximizing the Satellite Signal.
- Using the level make sure that your mast is perfectly plumb. If your mast is not level it will be very difficult if not impossible to find the satellite signal.
- Connect the OPI as shown in figure one
- Activate the antenna pointing program by typing in the address http://192.168.0.1/fs/registration/setup.html then click antenna pointing.
- Make sure the enable OPI check box is checked click next
- On a piece of paper record the azimuth, skew, and tilt settings listed.
- Click the "show signal strength button" a popup window will appear displaying your current signal strength.
- Go out to the dish set the elevation on the dish to the angle given on the piece of paper.
- Using your compass roughly point the dish in the direction given. For help with this see the tutorial How to Use a compass
- Slowly sweep the dish from side to side while watching for the signal on your opi to go higher than 30.
- If you cannot get your signal above 30 then adjust your elevation up or down by 1°. Then repeat these side to side sweeping and elevation adjustment until a signal higher than 30 is reached.
- If your signal goes to 30 and stays at 30 many may be locked onto the wrong satellite. If this is the case then recheck your compass heading, and start over.
- Loosen one of elevation lockdown nuts just a little, so that when you loosen the other nut there will ba a little drag from the first nut.
- Brace the dish with one hand as you loosen the second lockdown nut
- Push up on the dish untill you see the signal drop below 30
- Slowly lower the dish until the OPI you reads the maximum signal, You may have to push up and lower it down several times to get the highest signal.
- Once you've obtained the peak signal at elevation then tighten down all nuts.
- To verify your peaked signal, gently push and pull at each of the four corners of the dish, one at a time.
- If your signal in raises then your signal is not maximized, re-peak the dish.
Once you have peaked the dish you it is time to maximize the cross polarization of the dish
Part Two: Maximizing the Cross Polarization of the Dish.
- On the computer close the signal strength window and click the Next button
- Click the manual button, click ok
- A pop-up window will appear that will eventually give you a number and a "Pass" or "Fail" message.
- Your OPI should say 02 XX, the 02 is the Cross-Pol mode if it blinks it indicates a fail, if it is solid it indicates a pass\
- The xx is the number that you are cross pol is at. Adjust the skew of the dish by one or two degree incriments to maximize your numbers.
- You must pass this test in order for your modem to work.
NOTE: This page is currently undergoing a major edit. As a courtesy, please do not make edits to this page while this message is posted, in order to avoid edit conflicts.
- My OPI only blinks 8L8 or 8H8 at me.
- My OPI will not go higher than 30
- I don’t have an OPI can I still point my dish?
- ( Broadband Satellite Communications for Internet Access
- ( Over-the-Road Wireless For Dummies
- ( Support Your RV Lifestyle! An Insider's Guide to Working on the Road, 2nd Edition
Amazon's Related Products
- ( DSCover Satelli DSCDWAYCS DirecWay 23" x 39" Satellite Dish Contour Cover Set
- ( Cyber Power 1080 10 Outlet Surge Protector
- ( Cisco-Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster
- How to Use a compass